Are you a novice in the ever-growing fraternity of buying and selling domains for profit or are you planning to take a leap into this field? If yes, then you must have asked yourself this one question of sheer importance a thousand times before making any decision – Is buying and selling domain name a really profitable business? Before answering your question, have a look at the different deals that were sealed in different years.
- In the year 1998, the domain name beer.com which was originally purchased for $80,000, was sold to the company called Interbrew a year later, for a staggering sum of $7 million.
- Back in 2007, Page Howe struck the gold mine by selling two domain names. Seniors.com, which was originally purchased for $100,000, was sold for $1.8 million. And a few months later, he sold Guy.com for $1 million.
- Clover Holdings Ltd., in 2010, bought the premium domain Sex.com at an auction for $13 billion. This deal is denominated as one among the expensive deals even today. And the website receives 125,000 visitors on an average, daily.
- Housing.com along with the number 3333333333, was purchased for a total of $1 million in the year 2013.
After perusing the above deals, it must have been crystal clear as to why domain flipping is one of the most sought-after businesses among the folks. Even though people have been registering the domain names from a very long time, there is no denying the fact that the profits and popularity of domain names have only soared by leaps and bounds.
Hence, there remains no room for any doubt about the opportunity of making money with domain names. Instead, the right question that you should be asking is how much. How much profit will you be able to create for yourself?
Well, the profit figures ultimately depend upon the smart work and dedication that you put into it. But just to give you some idea about the domain market, here are top 5 names from the most popular domain names list that carved the niche in the history of domain names:
- Cars.com – This is said to be the costliest domain name deal. The domain name was sold for $872 million. (Just imagine the reaction of the person who owned the domain name)
- Insurance.com – In the year 2010, this domain was sold for $35.6 million.
- VacationRentals.com – It was sold for $35 million in the year 2007.
- PrivateJet.com – This domain was sold for $30.18 million back in 2012.
- Internet.com – One of the most popular names in today’s generation was sold for $18 million, way back in the year 2009
However unbelievable it may look, these are the lucrative figures that people have earned by selling domain names. Chances are you won’t end up making such million dollar deals immediately, but with experience, you will learn the pattern and nitty gritty of the field. Like any other business, this profession too requires patience.
Matt Wegrzyn, who made a huge amount of money by flipping domains, of which some were sold for more than $50,000 alone, says, that initially, it is better to take the baby steps. Buy cheap domain names that will help you earn the profit and as soon as you have earned enough, try your shot at the premium domain marketplace. Because ultimately, premium domains are the ones that will help you strike the jackpot.